Happy new year, everyone! I hope 2014 is a year of health, happiness, prosperity and wellness for all of us.
Let’s start the year with a to-do list of everything to keep track of as you go through your daily routines.
- Eat healthy – Make the right choices every day. You know what they are – no junk food, no yo-yo diets, minimal processed food and sugar, and homecooked meals always win over take-out.
- Move – Twenty minutes every day. That’s all you need. Take a walk. Do a set of surya namaskars. Sign up for a gym or workout class. Whatever it is, remember to have someone supervise what you are doing from time to time, and always warm up and cool down.
- Sleep – Nothing is worth losing your sleep over. Literally. Research has proved that sleep deprivation puts you at risk of several lifestyle diseases. Just work with your body’s cicardian rhythm and sleep as many hours as you need to feel rested. If you have problems falling or staying asleep, see a doctor.
- Drink water – Stay hydrated. And no, carbonated beverages or artificially-sweetened juices do not count.
- De-stress – Take breaks in between your tasks at work. Designate a weekly slot in which you disconnect from all devices. Spend time on hobbies you love. Meditate. Breathe.
- Teamwork – I’ve said this before and I will say it again: If you make wellness a family project, or sign on your friends, too, you will feel more motivated. Plus, it will remind you that you need to stay healthy for the sake of your loved ones, too.
- Start early – Don’t wait until something happens to start taking care of yourself. Wellness is a lifelong goal.
- Get outdoors – Even in the most crowded city, there is a way to find a green patch to spend time in. Run. Walk. Play. Do whatever you want, but get out of the house.