I’d like to talk today about how you can identify if your weight gain is worrying and you need to see a doctor.
- If your BMI is above 30 or 35. Or, another way of determining this is if you are 50 kgs above your prescribed weight.
- If you have Type 2 diabetes and your medications have been increased regularly.
- If you need a sleep machine.
- If you and your spouse are having trouble conceiving. In this case, both partners should get checked for infertility.
- If you have tried dieting and exercising but not experienced weight loss.
- If you have trouble following instructions to stay focused on a wellness routine of diet and fitness.
In case you identify with one or more of these points, I would strongly recommend seeing a doctor such as myself. You might just need careful monitoring, or you might need surgery. If your doctor suggests the latter option, don’t panic. Bariatric surgery can phenomenally improve your health and quality of life.
Until next week, eat healthy – don’t get carried away by festivities this season! – and stay fit.