Munching when you’re not really hungry or are hungry can rack up lots of extra calories. But judicious use of the right snacks benefit you by keeping you full and prevent you from getting obese. Choosing the right food to snack on is important to keep your calorie count in check, especially at work.
- Always a great choice, fruit is filling and thirst quenching, which makes it a good choice for travel or when at work.
- Rich in antioxidants and one of the best option to snack on.
- Counted as one of best mid – meal snack.
- Fruits energise you without adding too many calories.
- Avoid easily bruised fruits like bananas, pears, or strawberries
- Not just for breakfast, dry cereal is a great alternative to chips.
- It satisfies an urge to crunch and delivers a boost of fiber and vitamins.
- Choose a cereal low in sugar and high in fiber
- Pack in small bags to avoid the “eat the entire box” syndrome
- Like fruits, vegetables too can be good snack options
- Packed with vitamins, mineral and antioxidants and fiber
- Cucumber, tomatoes, onions and a bit of lemon juice tossed together with sprouted beans or boiled corn is a good option
- You can also make the above option into a bhel by simply adding a small fistful puffed rice
- Make sure the salads are freshly prepared
- Bars are both easy to carry and tasty to eat
- Packed with energy and protein, they keep you full for a long time.
- Excellent choice for a quick snack and you can have them between meals as well
- All bars are not created equally, so it pays to read the label
- Look for a choice that isn’t candy filled or chocolate coated
- Ideal bar- Calories- less 200 kcal and protein 10-12g/bar
- Nuts can be a good mid morning snack as they make you feel satiated anytime
- Nuts are high in fat, so as with most snack choices, portion control is really important
- Almonds, walnuts or even a nut mix with instant low-calorie breakfast cereals is a healthier and interesting snack option
- They are portable, require no chilling, and a handful can fill you for hours
- Sandwiches are a favourite, as far as snacks are concerned
- Choose whole wheat or brown bread instead of white bread
- Do not use cheese as fillers; instead, add delectable green chutneys made out of dhaniya (coriander) or pudina (mint)
- You can also stuff your sandwiches with vegetables or lean meat and garnish them with fresh herbs
- They are not only healthy but tasty too