Clinical Psychologist at CODS, Saba Jivani believes that loved ones make a big difference in helping ones’ journey to losing weight. Post Bariatric Surgery, It’s important that you can support your loved one in easy lifestyle changed – be it post bariatric surgery diet or even simply,
Let them know you care
A few small changes to their lifestyle can really make a big difference and your support can mean the world to them. Some loving words can be one of the best motivators of all.
“I really appreciate how much you do for me but I would love to see you take more time for yourself
If they’re unsure or unwilling to follow with diet and physical activity, help them have a number of options ready such as:
- Would you like to go for a walk together each evening after dinner?
- Would you like me also to a start a diet plan so as a couple we both can eat more nutritiously?
- Can I buy us both some new water bottles and fill them each morning to make sure we are consuming adequate amounts of water per day?
- Would you like me to accompany you to the grocery shop, so that we can buy healthy food stuff for both?
- Would you like to do yoga/ aerobics/ dance class together so we can spend quality time together as well keep our body fit?
- Your job is to support them once they’ve taken the first step towards a healthier lifestyle.
If your loved one hasn’t exercised for a long period of time (if ever), it’s best to start slowly. Even integrating 15 minutes of extra movement into your day can make a difference.
Make it fun –
Find activities that you both enjoy that involve movement. It can be as simple try some other fun activities such as:
- Jumping on the trampoline
- Having a race
- Working in the garden together
- Dancing in the living room
- Walking to the shops on the weekend to get some groceries
Once you start incorporating these steps into your day, focus on outcomes that will help with lasting progress rather than just on weight lost. Ask your loved ones questions like:
How did you feel after the walk we went on this morning?
Was the healthy lunch I made for you today satisfying? Should I add more [protein / snacks / fruit] for you tomorrow?
- You could also try positive comments such as:
- You seem to have so much energy lately.
- Your clothes are fitting so much better lately.
- I’m really proud of you for eating so healthy lately; you’re really setting a good example for the kids.
- I really think you should schedule some downtime and hit the gym or walk floor with your friends this weekend.
Try and be as positive as possible, as negative comments can be seen as attacks.
The self-help technique of visualizing yourself as the ideal person you want to be post the surgery
Both of you can plan an ideal figure. Working towards the decided target and helping them in small ways increases the confidence and the bond towards each other
This is powerful: Vivid picture, in your head, successfully changing your old self into new.
Make a CD of old memories and let them have a before picture in MIND, this will help them wanting to change their self and have a new look.
I’s important to reward your loved one for the accomplishments during weight loss journey. Reward them for behavioral changes as well as physical. After all the key to maintain weight loss depends on the behavioral changes they’ve made along the way.
The rewards need to be non-food rewards. The purpose of rewarding them is to strengthen the resolve to lose weight and maintain weight loss.
Simple ways to reward them.
- A relaxed spa for your love will be a great idea. It’s relaxing and will reenergize them from inside. A little pampering can go a long way.
- Giving them a surprise for a makeover, make them feel good and different.
- A night out at the movies with your loved one. A special time spent with each other. (U & ME)
- The time relaxing time could be a leisurely morning at the park, with them, Breathe and take in the fresh air. Starting the day with the best person beside you.
- Getting them a membership for a gym or a club
- Buying a new outfit or a change of the dress which your loved one wants to wear but have swinging thoughts.
- A tattoo with your loved ones name on it (or piercing). Something that’s unique.
Some RED FLAG to make your love one happy:
- Every weekend or once in 15 days a flower with a small note (you are looking gorgeous, etc)
- Accompanying with them at every follow up shows you care
- On every follow up at CODS (At 3 months, 6 months & yearly) a small gift or else spending the evening together either at sea side or a walk together etc, let it be small but the best.
- Sending a cute goodnight text once a week while sleeping so when awake there is a smile on the face.
- Once they have achieved the desired weight loss goal, a date planned out so all they have to do is look good and show up.