‘Tis that time of the year again and it’s all about losing weight now, isn’t it? All to fit into that little black dress or to outdo the others at the wedding of the year! The reasons to lose weight are endless but seldom have I heard ‘I want to lose weight to be healthy’ and that is the reason I believe that most of us fail. Our motivation for weight loss is so temporary!!
It is all too easy to lose weight—Really, anybody can do that! You could live on soup and salad for a month and see the kilos melting away…. But how many months are you going to starve yourself?1 month? Maybe two?And thenthe cravings come back. You get frustrated and irritable and go back to your original lifestyle and the kilos come piling on with a vengeance!!!All too familiar a story?
What you should be after is weight loss along with weight maintenance! Your motivation should be to be and feel healthy. Measure your progress not only by the numbers on the weighing scale butby your blood reports, on how sprightly you feel and how energetic you are. That should be your long term motivation! Then, you then will never be on a diet but you will adopt a healthy lifestyle…
This is in my opinion, what you should do!
- It is important to get your bloodwork done regularly to keep a check on your health and your nutritional profile.
- Consult a qualified professional, follow their advice and work with them for the betterment of your own health. Tell them what you can and cannot do – there truly is no point in agreeing to everything when it’s not possible for you to follow anything!
- Don’t make drastic changes all at once! Instead pick a couple of healthy changes and stick to it until it becomes part of your lifestyle and then move on to the next new change. It could be something as simple as drinking 2 extra glasses of water daily or reducing a spoon of sugar in your daily cup of tea.
- Get moving, be active and rest well and don’t forget to allocate cheat days.Every fortnight– treat yourself to some chocolate or cheese or anything that you really love.
- And most importantly don’t be too hard on yourself! Give yourself credit for all the little changes you make… They will all go a long way!
Which is why at CODS, we encourage you to look at fitness in a long-term format. Which is why a weekly catch up with our nutritionists. When we meet with you, we co-create a customized diet plan keeping your likes and dislikes in mind and ensure we up your ante on food and do’s and don’ts every week. We understand your metabolism and create an exercise plan with you and we help you break tough habits and keep you on track!
Hope as you hit the New Year, you will want to lose your kilos and inches the CODS way – healthy, safe, secure and most importantly – long term!